What do you do with a frozen left over Ham Bone from the Holidays, when you have to make room in your freezer. Make your family’s favorite Ham Beans & Rice.
Courses: Main Dish, Side Dish Categories: Beans, Pork Serving size: 8-10 Preparation time: 10 mins Cooking time: 8 hours
- Left over Ham Bone
- 1 Pound (2 cups) Dry Pinto Beans
- 6 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
- 4 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 Teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 Bay leaves
- 4 Cups Chicken or vegetable broth 1 cup water
- 2 Teaspoons coarse sea salt
Rinse and drain beans and add them to slow cooker
In pan over medium high heat, add extra virgin olive oil, garlic, onion and celery and cook for 6-7 minutes, until onions are translucent. Turn the heat off and add the vegetables to the slow cooker.
Add all the remaining ingredients and slow cook on low for 8 hours, until the beans are tender.
Remove the bay leaves & Bones and serve over Rice.