I just got a smoking deal (pun intended lol) on a Pit Boss Smoker yesterday and have already put it into good use. I know this sounds like an odd pairing but I can tell you the flavors are amazing. Starting with a Memphis style rib rub and finishing off with a Korean BBQ inspired sauce will blow your mind. If you like heat you can add more heat. This recipe is between and mild and medium, I wanted to make sure I didn’t go crazy on my first go around with it. Honestly the Memphis Rub is something I use on chicken & pork too so if you make extra save it for later you will be glad you did.
- 4-6 pounds short ribs, English style
- salt and pepper
- Memphis stye rub
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons ginger, minced or grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, or how ever much you want
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to your level of spice
- green onions for garnish (optional)
- sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
For the spritz:
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablepsoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Memphis Style Rub
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup paprika
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- First thing is to prep your short ribs. Some ribs have excessive fat caps. If there is, trim it some of it off. Season the ribs with salt and pepper and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or all the way to overnight. Longer would be better, but 2 hours is just fine.
- Remove ribs from fridge after 2 hours and sprinkle with the Memphis rub on both sides liberally.
- Get your smoker going to 250°. Once the smoker is hot, place the short ribs in. Start a timer. Every 30 minutes, for 2 hours, you’ll want to go and spritz the ribs.
- While the short ribs are smoking, you will want to make the sauce by combining all the sauce ingredients in a bowl. Whisk together. Cover and put aside.
- After the short ribs have smoked for 2 hours, very carefully, or the meat could fall off, move the ribs to an aluminum pan. Give the sauce a quick whisk again to recombine and pour over the ribs. Cover with aluminum foil. Place the pan back in the smoker for another 1 hour, or until desired tenderness. Internal temp should be 200°
- Plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions if using.