Nice change from the traditional rice side dish but still packs all the bold flavors that are a perfect complement to my grill Pollo Asada or Carne Asada. Easy and quick side my whole family loves.
1 tbsp olive oil
5-6 cloves garlic chopped
1 onion (chopped, 1 medium onion)
1/4 cup roasted red peppers chopped
1 can roasted green chili
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained, 14.5 oz can)
1 cup frozen corn (, or fresh)
1 cup salsa
1 cup quinoa (rinsed in a sieve)
1 cup chicken broth
¾-1 tsp salt ( to taste)
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika (regular or 1/2 tsp smoked)
½ tsp cayenne (adjust to taste, or skip)
Optional Toppings: Cilantro, Pico de Gallo, sour cream, chopped avocado, onions or cheese.
- Finely Chop onions and peppers. Rinse quinoa for 10–15 seconds under running water, drain well and keep aside.
- Saute Onions, garlic for 2-3 minute. Add spices including salt, cumin, chili powder, paprika and cayenne, roasted green chilies and saute for another 30 seconds. This brings out the flavors of the spices.
- Add drained quinoa, rinsed and drained black beans, frozen (or fresh) corn, chopped roasted peppers and salsa to the pot.
- Add a cup of chicken broth and stir well. Close the lid, and set the vent to ‘sealing’ position. Pressure cook at high pressure for 2 mins. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, after which release remaining pressure manually (QR)
- After the pin drops, open the lid and fluff the quinoa using a fork. Squeeze in fresh lime juice and cilantro and serve warm with your favorite toppings.