Love this soup so much, especially on cold nights. It the kind of food that makes you feel like a kid again, especially when you have grill cheese or cheese quesadillas to dunk in the soup. Using the canned tomatoes really make it easy and also most of the time it’s already in our pantry.
Immersion blender (OR)
2 tablespoon butter
1 cup diced onion
4 cloves garlic (minced)
1 1/2 tablespoon Italian Seasonings
Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
2 14-ounce can tomatoes (whole, cubed, or crushed)
1 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
4 tablespoons heavy cream
Salt and pepper
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and red pepper, Italian Seasonings and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes. If using whole tomatoes, crush with a spoon and simmer for 10 minutes to soften. If using diced or crushed tomatoes, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add broth. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- If using an immersion blender, blend soup until mostly smooth. You may need to tilt the pot for the blender to work effectively. If using a countertop blender, cool the soup for 10 minutes before transferring it to the blender and blend until smooth or mostly smooth. If soup is too thick, you can blend in a little more broth or water. Return to saucepan.
- Stir in cream and salt and pepper to taste. Reheat over medium heat if necessary and enjoy!
Optional toppings: bacon, green onions, cheese
Serve with grill cheese sandwich or cheese quesadillas.